Wednesday, December 20, 2006

it is thinking time...

On Friday, December 8, I had the scariest moment of my life. Michelle and I were eating sushi at a Japanese restaurant in Toronto, and she choked on an oversized spicy tuna roll. In the frantic seconds that followed, I attempted the Heimlich in vain, experienced a fear that bordered on hysteria, and then clutched Michelle as close as possible after she forced the offending fish down her throat with her finger.

Sometime between December 11 and December 13 I had a heart attack (acute myocardial infarction, 100% blockage of the Left Anterior Descending (LAD) artery, 100% blockage of one of the diagonal arteries coming from the LAD, to be precise.)

Coincidence? Methinks not.

Changes are afoot.

One would assume that these would be diet, exercise, etc. However, with the exception of additional exercise, most of my day-to-day calorie storage and expenditure won't be changing. After all, Michelle is a dietitian.

The changes I speak of deal with the heart (no pun intended). My relationship with God has been founded on whatever has been convenient for Travis P. Slagle, Esq. As I sat in bed (in a striking cotton miniskirt/kimono number) I heard God speaking through these events. There have been a number of instances where I have narrowly avoided an end to these years here on earth. God has a purpose for my life, and it is high time that I started looking for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Psa. 68:20 ...And to GOD the Lord belong escapes from death.

May the Lord bless you and your family this year.
Merry Christmas!

Abby said...

Wow. We haven't been so close to dying but wierd things are happening over here too. I think I'm understanding where you're coming from. Glad you guys are feeling...alive, I guess.

Kenny said...

I'll be praying for you guys.

And Michelle, maybe a little more chewing next time... ;)

Michelle said...

Thanks, Ken. I'll keep that in mind.